Thursday 16 June 2011

If music be the food of love, play on!

Music. Tell me. What would we do without it? I don´t know about you, but I sure as hell couldn´t live without music. Not just to aid my escapism from reality, but to excite my senses, refresh my memories, and to express myself.

Since I can remember, I have been obsessed with music. From learning to play the piano, to wishing I could sing, music has always been important in my life. And, despite being the only language in the world with the most adjectives, English words fail to describe how I feel when I hear a certain song, or a certain voice. I can hear a song again for the first time in years and instantaneously I will be transported back to that moment when I first heard it, or to the memory I associated with it.

I think I am the only person who could confidently answer the question, "what is your favourite song?". And anyone who knows me, knows that I will say "Clair de Lune" by Debussy. This song just encapsulates what I love about music. It´s beautiful. The way it starts so softly and ends so powerfully just grips me. And it´s pure; free from words. You can just lie there and let it wash over you (and all the subsequent emotions!).

I guess, piano music is my ultimate favourite sound but I do have a bit of my father´s influence of music in me and I love a hard and heavy sound. It´s really cliché to say, but it really does depend on my mood what I like to listen to. I can be my own worst enemy when I´m feeling sad, as I just surround myself with gut wrenching, depressing songs...but I suppose it´s a way of catharsis for me, and my own psychotherapy - which is a lot cheaper too ;)

Oops, danger of getting a bit too deep here... best to get back to enjoying the sound of music... :)

No comments: