Tuesday 27 December 2011

The grass is always greener on the other side?

Being the over analytical person that I am, I find myself pondering this saying. And I used to think it was true... I think it´s human nature to always want what we don´t have. For some reason we seemed programmed to never be content with what we have....blondes want to be brunettes, brunettes want to be blondes, athletes want to be normal, normal people want to be athletes, those with the perfect partner find themselves wanting someone else...okay okay, I am completely over generalising...but I do know that these thoughts are highly common. In our world of over sexualisation, materialism, and "life is too shor"t analogies, we can find ourselves questioning if we are really happy...would I be happier with whiter teeth, would I be happier if I had a partner who washed the dishes, would I be happier if I travelled...blah blah blah...and sometimes I just sit there thinking, people should try to be happier with what they have. Of course it´s wonderful to have ambition, hopes, dreams...but we don´t need to be in a rush to fulfil them... we don´t need to have the latest gadget, we don´t need to have travelled the world before we are 29...what we NEED to do is remember the important things in life...our family, our friends...the ones we hold dearest in our lives...those who remain there throughout our ups and downs, throughout our crazy thoughts, throughout our hopes and desires... because...at the end of the day...does travelling the world really mean anything if you have no one to share it with? Our obsessions can consume us, and we can lose the paitence of those closest to us, because even the most caring loved one can grow tired of being ignored or overlooked. You could spend years focusing on all the tiny "bad" points in a partner and push them away, when in fact they were your soulmate and you were just looking for something that doesnt exist...because remember...perfection does not exist. We all have flaws..that´s what makes us human...but those who really love you, see those flaws as special entities...for example Tomás always laughs at me when I am "mad" at him for no real reason..because I make ridiculous statements in the heat of the moment, and instead of being annoyed with me, he knows me..he knows I don´t mean it and I´m just being stupid..instead he loves me for me... so, anyway, I´m just thinking aloud as usual...as the new year comes closer, I find myself thinking about the future and reminding myself of the things that are really important.

No comments: