Sunday 4 December 2011

The red or the blue pill?

Well, I didn´t really have a choice, I had to take the "blue pill"... which as the symbology would have us believe is "blissful ignorance" instead of "embracing the painful truth" option with the red pill. Well, if taking the blue pill allows me to "blissfully ignore" my allergy symptoms, then fill me up! Haha. But no, seriously, since I opened the packet of pills the doctor gave me and saw it was blue, it reminded me of many of lifes dichotomies.

I´ve always been told I live in a "black and white" world, with no grey area, and if I were to live in the "grey" area, I´d be alot happier. But I ask myself, how many people live in the "grey area"? According to Freidman and Rosenham (1950) there are only two types of personality, A and B. Type A people are generally high strung, stressed and more likely to have a heart attack, and Type B people are more relaxed and well, the opposite of Type A. But is personality that simple? You´re either one type or another? Should we subscribe to the generalistic thinking that there is only good or bad, pretty or ugly, smart or dumb?

Of course, it´s impossible to try to categorise things into two boxes...things in life are much more complex. But it does challenge the conception that things CAN be so easily categorised. Like when someone makes a judgement of you upon meeting.."oh she´s a bitch".. So, that´s that? Done. In the bitch box she goes. But can that person be wrong? Can we misjudge people? Can people change? Can a bitch exist within an angel?
Either way, these questions make for great discussion... and personally, I´m always spinning around my own mind, wondering who I am. And I guess, figuratively speaking, I´m trying to put myself in a box. But I can´t find the right one... I always seem to be asking myself, am I trying to be a certain "type" of person for myself, or for other people?

And it´s really hard living like this. I´m constantly being bombarded in the media with slogans like... "don´t have regrets", "live your dreams", "life is short" .. blah blah blah... but what is my dream? What am I supposed to do in life? I guess it just boils back down to the red or blue pill... carry on in blissful ignorance, or face the painful truth??

No comments: