Friday 5 August 2011

If at first you don´t succeed...

try, try again!!!

Well, I don´t always suscribe to this philosophy, but in the case of cooking, I do. Especially when the motivation is high! Since moving here I´ve pretty much been living a student lifestyle in terms of cooking… pasta, cheese rolls, sometimes cereal….lol.

And to be honest, it could have been worse… I know how to cook a mean lasagne and banana bread… But dinner time was starting to get a little boring, and since Tomás has practically moved in, I thought it was high time to start cooking properly!

Lucky for me, Mummy gave me a Jamie Olivier cook book for Christmas, and since it is one of only a few books in my house, I found it pretty easily!! :) So for the last couple of weeks I´ve been trying (REALLY trying) hard to cook. And there have been more failures than successes…. for example, I tried to make a spinach quiche, but I was unsure if I should fold over the top with the filo pastry… Mr. Olivier said so, but there didn´t seem to be enough pastry.. but Tomás ASSURED me it could be done… Let´s just say, once you´ve stretched the pastry with the filling already inside, it´s kinda impossible to go back… :( Result? A half covered spinach quiche. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. AND worse than looking like shit, it tasted like shit too! So lessons learnt: Never buy frozen spinach… despite it´s ease of storage it tastes god damn awful. Second: I realised i HATE feta cheese. Thirdly: Go with gut instincts. (I knew it wouldn´t stretch!).

I won´t elaborate with my many other disasters… the only thing I will say is if Tomás and I aren´t sick tomorrow, it will be luck because the chicken I cooked for lunch today smelt worse than a dog´s backside.

ANYWAY.. the good news is, I made a really tasty anniversary dinner for Tomás this week AND a bacon and CHEDDAR cheese quiche today.

´Appy Dayz! =)

No comments: